Room Tracking from Device Events

• I get asked this question a lot, so I will go through the technique that I use in order to get Device Events to track in the UI's.

The best way I have heard URC tracking described is "dynamic". It factors many different things in order to determine tracking. Accelerator steps 7 and 8 are very important, as well as having Device Power On commands in macros. But these alone will not guarantee tracking from device events even if they do work from button presses. The fact is that there is no guaranteed way to get Device Events to track. I would like to be clear when I say that my technique is not guaranteed to work. It has worked for me on several occasions but I cant guarantee it will work in every situation. It should also be noted that tracking is heavily dependent on DMS stream. This means that success is more likely when dealing with DMS zones.

The main part of this technique consists of using the Room Power On command within your Device Event. This command usually has no purpose in an accelerated program but it seems to be the best way to get an event to track. The simplest form of this can be just using this command alone in your Device Event and copying the macro that you want executed into this macro. However, it can become more complex once we get into more automation which after all is what were using Device Events for anyways.

This is what the simple form might look like. In this example, I am using string variables to set source but this could easily just be a copied accelerated macro.

upload-57c0926b-cf5a-4a55-92de-2a95da1d71f0

upload-b76b341a-7227-4d27-93fc-80fc8969ad87

Lets look at taking this a step further with Room Syncing. This is the same concept, its just using the Room Power On macro inside our Device Event, except we are going to add some more complexity within our Room Power On macro in order to provide the client Room Syncing. Again this concept relies on using string variables to set source. This method may soon become depreciated with the release of Dash React, but the idea is the same. In this scenario I am using 2 Universal Macros. The first one sets the room source variable using conditionals that check the adjoining rooms status and if nothing is playing, it defaults it to the music source. The second macro is my standard "set source" macro.

upload-5cac89a3-642c-4bcb-84c6-4b0ba9fc732a

upload-df058177-788c-4230-9219-05f7f3bb2a57

Here is are a couple videos of the whole thing working. In the first video is a display of the Dash Lutron module handling volume ramping. You can see that it tracks to the Sonos source because no source was playing in the family room. In the second video you can see that it tracks to Apple TV because that is what was being used in the Family Room this time.

Justin Spiniolas

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!